[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Compton Gamma Ray Observatory re-entry

The primary re-entry area is in the eastern Pacific ocean between Hawaii
and South America, probably 2000 nm from nearest land.  Re-entry is
scheduled for 0545 UTC on the 4th.  The secondary re-entry track is a
little more interesting, and took up some of my time at work last night and
this morning.  The stated hazard area starts just south of Honolulu (150 nm
or so) at 0730 UTC, and included about half of the Big Island.  This
attracted my attention when I plotted it on a map, especially since NASA's
own figures called for about 6 tons of debris to survive to the surface.  I
left a message on voice mail at GSFC asking just what they were thinking.

This morning I got a call back, and found that the flight dynamicists
predicted a maximum debris footprint width of 13 nm, and the path
centerline was no closer than 166 nm to any Hawaiian island.  The 300 nm
protected width was just a random number they grabbed out of thin air.  Any
possible error will be along the NW-to-SE angled path, and not cross-track.
 In fact, they anticipate that the thrusters will probably perform in a
slightly-less-than-nominal fashion and the re-entry will occur further down
track than the earliest possible point, the start of the track just south
of Honolulu.

It really is too bad that the re-entry will take place earlier on the
primary track, because it certainly would have made a spectacular sight
from Hawaii if it was on the secondary track.

Jim Bedient
Honolulu, Hawaii