[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 1X "binoculars" ? idea/question

As I sat in my backyard wishing for LMs better than 4 (without
travelling)  I began to wonder about an idea for an optical aid for
meteor observation.   My 7X binoculars pick up a lot more stars due to
the front lense's light gathering ability, however due to the
magnification I am only looking at at small part of the sky.   I am not
interested in telescopic (narrow field of view) observations at this
time.
Is it optically possible to build a set of "binoculars" that don't
magnify but just act as a light bucket and yield a wide angle view of
the sky.  This would essentially increase the visual LM yet still allow
me to watch a large portion of the sky.   Has anyone ever heard of such
a thing or tried to build one themselves ?
If not, does anyone have the knowledge of optics that would let me know
if this is a feasible concept to pursue?
I basically want a set of artificial OWL eyes (or better) for observing
meteors.
Thanks,
Dustin Brown