[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The possible Arietid

Mike,

the meteor I observed that could have been an Arietid was some
90 degrees  from the radiant, but was only 20 degrees long. I
estimated its angular velocity as 23 degrees/sec, from IMO's tables
a meteor with 40 km/s atmospheric velocity (DAR's are at 38 km/s)
90 degrees from the radiant, beginning at 60 degrees elevation
should have an angular velocity of 20 degrees per second. I might
have overestimated it? Or I did it right and its not an Arietid...
If I had a Sagittarid with a 10% too high angular speed, I'd
call it a Sagittarid, but with Arietids I'm not sure :)
Another thing - I expected grazers from Arietids, not 'short'
20 degrees long meteors!! But then again, I had 20 degrees long
ETA's with the radiant on the horizon. I hope I get some more
attempts at DAR's...
...for now I'll call this meteor a sporadic.

Clear skies!

Jure A.