[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Meteor spectrum components (was Re: (meteorobs) P/2000 G1 & Vgeo)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lew Gramer" <dedalus@latrade.com>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 5:56 PM
Subject: Meteor spectrum components (was Re: (meteorobs) P/2000 G1 & Vgeo)

> I believe that our own Ed Majden, who is also coordinator of the American
Meteor
> Society's Spectrographic Program, might be able to provide some
perspective on
> this? Ed, looking at some of the meteor spectrographs you've published on
the
> Web, I get the impression that there *is* an observable continuum
component to
> meteor spectra - but also that the lines seem to the more intense
component?

> BTW, to view some of Ed's spectra images, or to learn more about the AMS
> Spectrographic Program, see the following on the AMS Web site:
>
>         http://www.amsmeteors.org/spectro.html

Ed's comprehensive page on meteor spectroscopy reveals a long history on the
subject. I gather from it that most (if not all) of the line spectra are
from the vaporized outer surface of the meteor itself rather than from the
ionized air molecules around it. Is that true? Do some spectra show lines
from both ionized meteor material and ionized air? I obviously don't
understand all I know about this.

Paul

Follow-Ups: References: