[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor spectrum components

>Ed's comprehensive page on meteor spectroscopy reveals a long history on the
>subject. I gather from it that most (if not all) of the line spectra are
>from the vaporized outer surface of the meteor itself rather than from the
>ionized air molecules around it. Is that true?

I had missed this tidbit from Ed's pages, Paul! I'm surprised to hear it:
again, my second-hand understanding up till now had been that the bulk of
the emissions in the head were from ionized atmosphere. (And that this is
certainly true of the wake and any persistent train, too, of course.)

Lew