[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor spectrum components

Thanks to Lew, I've got the thread right!

I also managed to get _most_ of the terms right too, I think ?!?  I
thought it was train, but I have seen trail used often enough.  I'd
heard of meteoriticists, but meteoricists is a new one to me: I actually
find it more cumbersome to pronounce than meteoriticists!

What happened to "micrometeoroid", the ones that are too small/unmassive
to become meteors...?

METEORITE LIST

I accessed that meteorite thread via www.astroarchives.com, I was not a
list member.  It was soonish after the Yukon Fireball [now the Tagish
Lake meteorite(s)] I think, and I was casting about all over the place
for any sort of information

Unfortuntaley, as the astroarchives pages have an archive limit of only
the 200 last entries, that thread is now well and truly beyond my
grasp.  Anyway, I stopped accessing that list's archives, as it has a
tendency to descend into heated arguments about whether scientists
and/or nations should be allowed to do what they want with their
meteorites, or whether the person waving around the most yankie dollars
should be final arbiter... ...fortunately the only way meteors can be
"collected" is in data sets or via pikkies of some form!

Anyway, I'm pretty certain somebody called something like Paul Elton or
Elton Jones or similar is/was on that list and that I'd also seen the
same name on the meteorobs list, so he/they may well remember this
thread.  I can't imagine what other list archive I could've seen it on.

[Note to Benny : Lew, apparently the Tagish Lake meteorite(s)
pre-atmospheric parent had an atmospheric *"entry velocity"* of around
16 km/s, which from recent discussions sounds like it is supposed to be
a Vinf = Va velocity under yet another name, as opposed to a Vgeo
velocity... ...I think!]

Cheers

John

JG, UK