[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor spectrum components

Whilst we're at it, I ought to mention the following:-

One Herr Professor Ulf von Zahn was kind enough to contact me after the
initial P/2000 G1 thoughts.

He is an atmospheric physicist, and of late has been involved in LIDAR
measurement of meteor trains.

Apparently lasers tuned to potassium, calcium, sodium and/or iron
frequencies are used to detect these species in the trains from meteors
: ie they are meteoroid products, not atmospheric ones.

I can give the following reference:-

Journal of Geophysical Research 104, 24689-24698, 1999 (First author M.
Gerding)

which concerns an unknown shower serendipitously detected on nights of
March 6/7 by this method.

Other earlier papers will be referenced therein, for papers in journals
on atmospheric physics etc, with results from Leonids & similar.

As usual, information on meteorics is tucked away in diverse fields and
obscure literature: obscure in the sense that it they are frequently not
_astronomic_ literature. I know that few people will be able to get at
such papers, but I note their existence just in case.

Meanwhile, if anyone anywhere is even remotely aware of any shower
concentrated on the nights of 6/7, no matter how obscure, kindly pass on
the info via Kim Youmans, so we can pass it on to Professor von Zahn.

Cheers

John

JG, UK