[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Me so busy

Hello John,

            I have followed the recent thread(s) with which you've been
involved lately with great interest but with no actual input, primarily for
two reasons:
    A:  I simply don't have the background in astrophysics, orbital
dynamics, etc., to make any statements or even guesses at the
various issues (from cometary break-up re Sergey to meteor spectrography re
Jim and Lew) so "I's jes' reads an learns."
    B:  After a three month period of unemployment I have just begun a new
job that's somewhat totally out of my experience, as a Database
Administrator for a Japanese Company located about 40 miles from home.  So
in addition to a commute, I am deluged with tons of new information which I
*must* absorb in order to learn and perform my new job duties.
      So where does that leave me with my one true passion -- well, pretty
bloody flat.  Looks like the only real observing I'll get to do will be on
the weekends for some time to come (though I *have* taken care to see that
I'll be off on Nov 17th!).
      In other words you may not hear much from me for a while, but I'll
definately be "hooked in" as much as possible.  And thanks so much for
helping to keep the interest up for the early March period.  Is there any
other info you have on the following tidbit you teased me with?
>>>I can give the following reference:-
>>>Journal of Geophysical Research 104, 24689-24698, 1999 (First author M.
>>>Gerding)
>>>which concerns an unknown shower serendipitously detected on nights of
>>>March 6/7 by this method.

Cheers and sweet kipping to ya!
Kim

JG wrote:

> Whilst we're at it, I ought to mention the following:-
>
> One Herr Professor Ulf von Zahn was kind enough to contact me after the
> initial P/2000 G1 thoughts.
>
> He is an atmospheric physicist, and of late has been involved in LIDAR
> measurement of meteor trains.
>
> Apparently lasers tuned to potassium, calcium, sodium and/or iron
> frequencies are used to detect these species in the trains from meteors
> : ie they are meteoroid products, not atmospheric ones.
>
> I can give the following reference:-
>
> Journal of Geophysical Research 104, 24689-24698, 1999 (First author M.
> Gerding)
>
> which concerns an unknown shower serendipitously detected on nights of
> March 6/7 by this method.
>
> Other earlier papers will be referenced therein, for papers in journals
> on atmospheric physics etc, with results from Leonids & similar.
>
> As usual, information on meteorics is tucked away in diverse fields and
> obscure literature: obscure in the sense that it they are frequently not
> _astronomic_ literature. I know that few people will be able to get at
> such papers, but I note their existence just in case.
>
> Meanwhile, if anyone anywhere is even remotely aware of any shower
> concentrated on the nights of 6/7, no matter how obscure, kindly pass on
> the info via Kim Youmans, so we can pass it on to Professor von Zahn.
>
> Cheers
>
> John
>
> JG, UK

Follow-Ups: References: