[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re 73P/SW3 meteors: 1930 event

Absolutely marvellous stuff from Rainer Arlt!!!!

I personally have no experience whatsoever in assessment of raw visual
data, plotted or otherwise, and given that info like that for the tau
Herculids of 1930 is more oft repeated than critically assessed, this is
very important info indeed!

It is [relatively] easy to generate predicted orbits for all sorts of
comets.  I try my best to narrow this down to meaningful levels by
comparison with _observed_ showers, naturally enough!  It is sometimes
strange to find comets in very similar circumstances where some don't
produce showers, but another does, etc.  This assists in an overall
assessment re the whole meteor-parent body debate/issue.  If in fact
that "exception" comet didn't produce any/many meteors to speak of
either, the whole outline of the subject changes!

I dunno, over the past few years some showers *seem* to have become
"non-existant", whilst others which should have been seen all along, but
were most likely forgotten about/missed, seem more certain...
...maybes...

Anybody found out how the "Camelopardalids" were discovered yet?

Cheers

John

JG, UK