[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) June 5/6 & 6/7 Meteor Observations From California

The session on June 6 was not worth a separate entry as it was fractured
and plagued by clouds. I overslept to the point it was not worth driving
far out of town. The sky at home was clear except for a few low clouds
over the ocean. I set up at home and almost immediately the clouds
charged in. I was able to look through large holes but a half hour later
I had lost the battle. Not willing to concede I drove just a few miles
further east near my work location. The skies there were surprisingly
dark. I was able to watch from there for a full hour before twilight
became too bright. All in all no Arietids were seen out of 5 recorded
meteors.

On Wednesday morning I drove to the mountains and watched for another 2
hours. Even with the better LM's rates were still slow with no Arietids
being seen. Plots did reveal that 3 of the 10 meteors seen came from a
loose radiant east of Gamma Cygni, close to the position where one would
expect the Cygnids from last week to show up. The highlight of the
session was a short, swift 0 magnitude trained sporadic in Pegasus.

I'm grounded tonight due to work commitments but I may give the Arietids
one last chance on Friday.

June 5/6 2000

0930-1000 UT  0.49  4.78  0 APX(N)   0 DAR   1 ECL/SAG   0 SPO   1 TOTAL
1030-1130 UT  0.98  6.37  0 APX(N)   0 DAR   1 ECL/SAG   3 SPO   4 TOTAL

TOTALS:       1.47  5.84  0 APX(N)   0 DAR   2 ECL/SAG   3 SPO   5 TOTAL

June 6/7 2000

0930-1000 UT  0.95  6.52  1 APX(N)   0 DAR   0 ECL/SAG   5 SPO   6 TOTAL
1030-1130 UT  0.97  6.40  0 APX(N)   0 DAR   2 ECL/SAG   2 SPO   4 TOTAL

TOTALS:       1.92  6.46  1 APX(N)   0 DAR   2 ECL/SAG   7 SPO  10 TOTAL

The first column gives the period watched stated in Universal Time (UT)
which is PDT + 7 hours. The second column gives the percent of that
particular hour actually spent observing the sky. Time was lost for
plotting and data entry tonight. The third column gives the average
limiting magnitude estimated during each period with a minimum of 4
estimates using at least 2 and preferably 3 different sky areas close to
my center of view. The last several columns list the activity seen
during each period.

I was facing east at an altitude of 60 degrees during the entire
session. No breaks were taken. APX(N) = Northern Apex , DAR = Daylight
Arietids, ECL/SAG = Antihelion radiant (Sagittarids), and SPO =
Sporadics (random activity).

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity for the 6/7th:  51 F (11 C)  48%
Ending         "         "         "                    46 F (8 C)   44%

MAGNITUDES: for 6/7

ECL/SAG: +2 (1) +5 (1)                              AVERAGE: +3.50
SPO:      0 (1) +1 (0) +2 (4) +3 (1) +4 (2) +5 (0)  AVERAGE: +2.37

Bob Lunsford
San Diego, CA USA