[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re 73P/SW3 meteors: 1930

JG wrote:

> I personally have no experience whatsoever in assessment of raw visual
> data, plotted or otherwise, and given that info like that for the tau
> Herculids of 1930 is more oft repeated than critically assessed, this is
> very important info indeed!

Actually, I just saw the more detailed description of Kaname Nakamura's
observations in MNRAS of 1930. The plots look more convincing than the
1921 June Bootids. They start outside the radiant and have varying length
according to the radiant distance. (Maybe someone told him meanwhile
how it should be ;-) Nevertheless, I have can not easily diminish my
doubts, particularly because of the Full Moon and cirrus.

He even describes the method of seeing faint meteors: Stare at a very
localized area of ~5 square degrees and you may see an amazing number
of meteors. Mmm. Note also that (for some reason) these two extra-
ordinary reports (1921 and 1930) are both in connection with very high
expectations even through newspapers, which have not impressively
materialized.

I could not find meteor reports on the SW3ids in Soviet bulletins,
in particularly Tashkent with a very active group, nor Dushanbe.
If anyone who has better access to and knowledge of these sources
can give me a hint, I would be grateful.

Best wishes, Rainer

--
Rainer Arlt  --  Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam -- www.aipdot de
Visual Commission - International Meteor Organization -- www.imodot net