[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fw: continuum emission in meteor spectra

>Paul O. Johnson wrote:

> I am surprised at Jiri's surprise. Would we not expect to see at least
some
> thermal continuum in the visible radiation from a hot meteor, even though
it
> is surrounded by excited gaseous atoms and ions? Maybe I don't fully
> understand what a video spectrum is.

 Paul:

This continuum generally appears in the spectrum of some bright meteors
recorded on film.  Why it doesn't appear in all of them is not yet resolved.
Video systems record fainter spectra than film cameras can, so I think Jiri
is surprised that it is present in some of  these fainter spectra.  Why this
occurs at all is not understood at the present time.  Meteor spectra are
very complex and much still has to be learned about them.

Ed Majden