[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A call for aurora reports!

    While a bit off-topic, we are presently in the beginning stages of a
potentially bright and spectacular auroral event.  A major geomagnetic storm
commenced at ~10:35 UT.  The planetary K-index has been hovering at 7 (on a
0-9 scale) indicating that significant auroral activity is currently taking
place on the night side of the Earth.  We may be dealing with a display that
approaches (or rivals) the bright aurora of this past April 6th.  Or European
meteorobs observers were able to "tip off" observers here in North America
that an aurora was indeed readily visible on that occasion. It would be nice
to have this happen again this afternoon and evening!

-- joe rao