[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A call for aurora reports!

Joe
I can report that radio amateurs in UK, Ireland, Holland,
Belgium, Germany and Sweden are reporting strong reflections
from an active aurora now ( 17:45 utc ) and have been doing
so for at least the last 1&1/2 hours that I have been
monitoring activity.

But,,, it is still daylight here, another 4 hrs +/- to go till
dark,,,  and the clear sky all day is now beginning to cloud
-over and rain is forecast :-((

Oh! as I type this one of the national TV news networks has
just had an item about this "solar storm", most unusual for
ITV to feature this sort of thing !!

Good luck,
Malcolm,
 1755z, SW England.

At 11:50 08/06/00 EDT, you wrote:
>    While a bit off-topic, we are presently in the beginning stages of a
>potentially bright and spectacular auroral event.  A major geomagnetic storm
>commenced at ~10:35 UT.  The planetary K-index has been hovering at 7 (on a
>0-9 scale) indicating that significant auroral activity is currently taking
>place on the night side of the Earth.  We may be dealing with a display that
>approaches (or rivals) the bright aurora of this past April 6th.  Or
European