[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Recording meteors while fatigued (was Re: (meteorobs) re 73P/SW3 meteors: 1930)

At 20:45 06/08/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>     Finally, as an avid camper, that is, someone who's spent a lot of time
>(often quite fatigued) in the dark, I wonder why I never see these
>"intra-ocular flashes" except when I'm looking at a clear, dark starry
sky?  In
>fact, I would probably be quite startled if, while lying awake in bed at
night,
>I began seeing +5 and +6 flashes with slight linear motion!

Perhaps because the ambient light in the bedroom is brighter than the
"clear, dark starry sky" (ever try doing a LM estimate while lying in bed
:o))))))??

Or perhaps these "intra-ocular flashes" are more often a reflection of
stars within your eyes? So, in your bedroom, you wouldn't have any pinpoint
light sources which might be the source of any such "reflections".

>     In the end, my own private criteria requires actually seeing the meteor
>itself and not merely the flash -- it's just that simple. But for me at least
>that leaves a lot of frustration knowing I'm not counting at least a
>percentage of the meteors that I detect.

Just remember your main goal: you're trying to count meteors WITHIN a
desired FOV, not those elsewhere. You REALLY want to get frustrated?? Think
of how many earth grazers have flashed behind your back through the
years.... =8-O

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA