[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) RED LIGHT

According to a recent article in a little known magazine called "The Practical
Observer" red may not be the optimum color for the filter to prevent the
destruction of your night vision.  It could be green for some individuals.  It
suggested that you illuminate a print of the complete visible spectrum with a
light which can be dimmed with crossed polaroid filters.  Reduce the
illumination till the last color disappears.  That last color is the filter for
you.  I've heard from other sources that it is the brightness that counts and
not the color.  I continue to use a red filter most of the time but am annoyed
by the green hue that  I see when I look back at the sky.  I hope that some more
knowledged person gives some answers to your question.  But I thought I would
throw my two bits in.