From: crawl@zoom.codot uk
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:37:00 +0000
To: meteorobs@jovian.com
Subject: re REDLIGHT

Dear Lew

I've been monitoring your meteorobs list again of late, and thought the
following might be useful in general:

Many lunations ago there was an article in Sky and Telescope about making a
red LED torch.

I've just done a search at their website, and sure enough, full
instructions and piccies, are at

http://www.skypub.com/tips/projects/redlight.html

When I cobbled together my own I actually used a cheap plastic torch that I
could fix the jumbo LED into the place where the normal bulb had gone.
This gives ready made battery holders and switch and casing etc.  I didn't
bother with a variable resistor/rheostat/whatever.

I also use alkali batteries... ...a bit of soldering may be needed to
connect the jumbo LED to the torches battery connections, and you don't
want to have to go through all that again just cos your batteries have
inverted their guts!

Cheers

John Greaves
UK