[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) ALL: AstroAlert: Very Large Possible Naked-Eye Sunspot Group

At 10:09 2000/09/20 -0500, you wrote:
>Okay, I'm not afraid to show my ignorance, it's the only way to
>learn, but what exactly dies VHF DXing refer to? I have a ham license
>so I know what DXing is and all that but...

The definition of VHF DX varies somewhat with the band.  The largest number
are on 144 MHz; so I'll start there.  VHF DX  on 144 is generally defined
as anything beyond the normal distance or the normal tropo scatter.  I.e.,
tropo beyond 500 miles, MS, Es, ionospheric scatter, aurora, ducting, TE,
EME etc.  (On a number of these, contacts shorter than about 500 miles are
extremely difficult.  But since they don't occur every day, unless you're
on High Speed CW Meteor Scatter, they fall into the "more unusual"
categories).

On 50 MHz, where all types of propagation are possible, the definition is
usually the same.  But as Es is common in the spring and summer months, a
lot of people really don't consider single-hop Es anything unusual.

On 222, 432, and the higher bands, it's similar again, but some of the
modes such as TE don't seem to exist.

So the "rule of thumb" definition would probably be anything beyond 500
miles or so on the VHF/UHF bands, or any type of propagation that either
isn't very common (aurora, etc) or takes some extra skill and/or power to
utilize it, even tho it's always available (MS, IOS, EME, etc).

For the record, on 144 MHz, I have a little over 300 grids, all states,
about 60 countries.  I've been pushing High Speed Meteor Scatter in this
country for the past 2 years, and am now starting some experiments, with a
half dozen other fellows, on ionospheric scatter, which isn't really that
well understood.

73, Shelby, W8WN

Shelby Ennis, W8WN - EM77bq - KY
                w8wn@arrldot net