[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Huge Sunspot now visible!

This is a bit off topic, but of some interest . . .

There is a huge sunspot now visible near the middle of the Sun's disk.

    I saw it a little while ago with my naked eye (using protective a Mylar
filter).  It actually appears ever-so-slightly to the right of the center of
the solar disk.  I also notice that a moderately strong solar flare (an M4)
erupted on the Sun earlier today (at around 4 hours UT).  If it emanated from
this huge spot, then there is no question that Earth would be directly in the
line of fire of the subatomic particles . . . which very possibly might lead
to some sort of geomagnetic storm in a couple of days.  We shall see.

-- joe rao