[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMC 2000 impressions

Hi!

   During Sept. 21 - 24 the last IMC of the millenium took place in Pucioasa,
Romania. It was really an intense event with lectures and presentations
from 9 am to 10 pm and various social activities thereafter. It was quite
an overwhelming experience to meet all the 'famous' IMO people and
many experienced observers from all over the world.

The subjects of the lectures and presentations included minor shower
results, some talk on Perseids (including David Asher on PER2004),
the Leonids of course, the Taurids, the Linearids (forgive me for the showers
I didn't mention) and there were several lectures with cultural bcakground
by the Romanian and Japanese group.

There was less talk on the Leonid shower than the previous years, but
unlike other years there were the Leonid 99 results, which reminded many
of us just what we missed last year. We watched a wide angle video recording
of the storm in a completely dark conference room for some minutes with
the sound record of Jordanian meteor watchers yelling into their tape recorders
and gasping for air. Every now and then the entire room would go 'aaaaaah'
when a bright Leonid appeared.
There was some talk on the Leonid 2001 storms - Daniel 'El Capitan' Fisher
proposed a joint IMO Leo2001 expedition (either in one or more groups) and a
Leo2001 mailing list where the possibilities could be discussed.
Another very interesting presentation was made by Marc de Lignie of DMS on
Leonid predictions using radiant shifts, a somewhat different approach than
Asher&McNaught.

I think one of the most exciting things was to meet David Asher in person.
He is great! A very social and outgoing person, great to talk to. For those that
haven't met him yet, I really do  hope they get to do some day!!
No less exciting was to talk to the big bosses of the IMO - it was very nice
to finally get to know them in person and Sirko Molau finally revealed just
why he does video observations instead of visual.

There was a distinct lack of American participants, there were none in total.
I hope that changes at the next year's IMC! As you might know, next year
the IMC will be in Slovenia and the organizational committee hopes the first
IMC of the third millenium is attended by at least just as many participants
as the last IMC of the second millenium!

This post is somewhat different to my usual 'It was clear and I was out again...'
but it was my first IMC, a very overwhelming experience of which at least a glimpse
I wanted to share with you!

Clear skies!!

Jure A.