From:"Rob Matson" <matsonr@saic.com>
To:  Meteorite-Recovery@egroups.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:01:17 -0000

Subject: [Meteorite-Recovery] Fireball Observed!

Hi All,

Southern California was just treated to a spectacular
fireball off the Orange County coast (as near as I can
estimate).  I observed it while driving southbound on
the 405 through Seal Beach between 8:09 and 8:10pm.
It was moving roughly east to west, though without the
third dimension I could not tell if it was moving NE
to SW, E to W, or ESE to WNW.  With a few additional
observations, triangulation would reveal this.

The fireball was bright green, at least magnitude -8,
and I observed it for 3 to 4 seconds before it
"fizzled out" only 5 degrees above the horizon.
Unfortunately, I'd say the chances are good that it
reentered over the water.  This definitely produced
one or more meteorites -- it was trailing sparks
throughout its flight.  However, it did not fragment
into multiple luminous objects -- just the main one.

KNX-1070 radio received a number of reports of
observations from Laguna Hills up to the San Fernando
Valley -- hopefully some amateur astronomers got some
good bearing information on this one.  (I can provide
the azimuth and elevation of my observation, as well
as a fairly accurate position, to anyone who is
collecting data for triangulation.  My latitude is
known to better than 100 meters; longitude about +/-
500 meters.)

Too bad it didn't come in about 10 minutes earlier --
the MRF would have quite the field day!

--Rob