[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LM

Robert,

    Personally my lowest limit for observations is +5.5 with no major showers
to monitor. If a major shower peak is close I observe under worse conditions
although I rarely observe under a sky worse than +5.0. I usually reach at
least +5.8 from my backyard though.
    At the MAC99 site there is a Leonid flux estimator that calculates the
ZHR value for a given set of circumstances and one of these is the observation
site. You can choose either Urban, Suburban, Countryside and Mountaintop
I think. I don't know where you observe from, but I'd suggest you go to a
countryside - rural location. I don't know what that means in terms of LM in
the United States, but here that would be better than +6.5 . It would also be
good to go somewhere really high - I'm quite tempted to go to 2000+m
elevation here, but for now elevations up to 1500m do just fine, with LMs
down to +7.3. Leaving the densest and 'dirtiest' part of the atmosphere below
you improves your LMs tremendously!
   Do you use glasses? A member of our team uses glasses and his usual
LM is only around +5.2 to +5.5 and he rarely gets below +6.0. Some time
ago Marco Langbroek suggested there might be a certain limit of LM for
a given person. He concluded that from his experience at Calar Alto and
Mongolia where he couldn't go below +7.2 (correct me if I'm wrong!).
   Perhaps some other member of meteorobs can help you by suggesting
some nearby dark location?

Clear skies!

Jure A.