[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor paths & southern hemisphere.

Hi meteorologists all, (and any weathermen who may be reading, mistakenly),
    Been thinking for days, how to prove Jure A wrong. ("there is no such thing
as a stupid question!!")

    Here goes.
    All meteors, unless sporadics, are part of one or other cometary dust
trail. That dust trail must intersect the earths' orbit twice, both being
ellipses, unless they 'tangent'. As far as I know we watch the meteors on the
inward part of the journey. What happens to the outward part of the journey?
Are they daytime meteors, and can only be observed by radio?
    Also what do e.g. the Leonids, etc, become on the other intersection
(presumably outward) with earths orbit. Do we have inward / outward matches for
each shower?
    Or is 2 dimensional thinking not appropriate?

    Also, I work in the northern hemisphere, but home is in the southern
hemisphere. I would like to schedule my trips home considering potential
southern hemisphere showers. Is a calendar of southern hemisphere meteor
showers available?

TIA,
Stuart.