[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Two questions about Leonids 2000

Hi all!

I profit of Jure's request of questions about Leonids to ask mines.
Well, it's several months since I asked myself why are there Leonids
storm occuring just when the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle has reach the
perihelion or just in the years that follow. Actually, I mean that if
I've well understood David Asher and Robert McNaught theory of streams
and refering to the "Guide du ciel 2000-2001" of Guillaume Cannat, the
Earth is going threw old meteoroids stream that have escaped from the
comet surface several decades or centuries ago. In that case, why
doesn't our planet cross them during two perihelion passages of its
parent comet? Why did meteor storms occur just in 1833, 1866...?

I wanted also to ask if there were more accurate estimations of the ZHR
of the 2000 Leonids peak. Because if I refered to the NASA site it can
be of 30 according to David Asher and Rob McNaught to 215 or 700 for
Esko Lyytinen and Tom Van Flandern for the first peak at 7:50 or 7:51
UT, and it can be of 20 or 700 respectively for the second peak at 3:40
or 3:44 UT. So, I'd like to know if the analyse of the 1999 Leonids
storm had permits to precise the estimations.

Well, I'm know hoping my questions are well formulates and I thanks of
advance those who would answer them.

Clear skies!

Karl.