[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LM

     I believe that with human nature being what it is, it's only natural for  folks to strive to obtain the "best" of things.  I recall my earliest observations involved spending far too much time trying to use averted vision to see more stars in the IMO fields and raise my LM.  I was still unable to ever get beyond about +6.8-- and then only rarely--though I'm confidant my local skies would provide better LM's for younger, sharper eyes than mine.
      I think it may also be useful to remind observers that age is not the only factor that limits LM - things like diet and tobacco and alcohol use are all important factors that the observer can and should control to obtain better vision.  No one will ever convince me that that glasses are superior to contacts for observing.  Most importantly, the choice of an observing site
is crucial and observers should develop an aptitude for recognizing truely dark skies before settling for one permanent observing site over another.
      Eat your veggies, quit the Lucky Strikes, save the ale for a cloudy night, augment those glasses with contact lenses, and keep looking for better skies.

Kim Y.

Excel Didacta wrote:

I don't think Rainer tried to say that. Most of the observers doeverything the way it should be done, but sometimes, especiallyin a group a kind of competition can occur where the observerscompete who will see more... ...I think. Clear skies! Jure A.