[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor paths & southern hemisphere.

Thanks for your reply, Rob.
    A couple of further thoughts;
    What percentage of comet paths are relatively coplanar with earth?
    Do we have any meteor shower 'pairs' resulting from the intersection of
earths orbit with one cometary trail?
    I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks,
    Stuart.

Rob McNaught wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Stuart Saunders wrote:
>
> >     All meteors, unless sporadics, are part of one or other cometary dust
> > trail. That dust trail must intersect the earths' orbit twice, both being
> > ellipses, unless they 'tangent'.
>
> Stuart,
> Two ellipses, with the Sun at one focus may intersect at 0, 1 or 2 points.
> A single point intersection is not only at a tangent.  If you look at
> the orbital elements, you are likely to get 2 intersections if the
> perihelion distance (q) is inside the Earth's orbit and the inclination (i)
> is close to zero.  This means the orbital plane of the meteoroids is
> in the same plane as the Earth' orbit.  Alternatively, q is inside the
> Earth's orbit and the argument of perihelion (w, that is small omega) is
> close to 90 or 270 degrees.  In that case, one intersection is north
> of the ecliptic and the other south.
>
> Cheers, Rob

Follow-Ups: References: