[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Reports

Hi Robert,

Sorry about the late response to your question...I just returned from my
honeymoon and am now busy with the "honey-do" list...... ;->>

To address your questions:

Since meteorobs is sponsored "behind the scenes" by the North American
Meteor Network, I do archive meteor reports that appear here. As you know,
the amount of information included with these reports vary widely, so it
does occur sometimes that there is not enough information to archive. In
those cases, the report does not end up in the NAMN archive. The NAMN
archive
is kept for informational purposes only and so is less restrictive in
deciding which reports to exclude. In general, all reports are included
regardless of observer experience, limiting magnitude and/or obstructions to
the field of view.

NAMN also serves the function of filtering a large percentage of meteor
reports to the International Meteor Organization from N. America (and
elsewhere). In that sense, there is a "shared raw data pool" kept, but this
is maintained by the IMO and so are held at the higher quality standards
they have in place.

NAMN no longer archives fireball reports specifically, but we do forward the
reports we receive to the New Jersey Astronomical Association (NJAA) which
in turns archives them and forwards reports to the IMO's Fireball Data
Center (FIDAC).

There is no need to send me a copy of your report directly if you send it
to the list as well. But if you have any concerns about whether I get it or
not, feel free to cc me a copy at MeteorObs@charlestondot net.

I hope this answered your questions. If not, let me know......

Mark Davis