[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Report of 9/26/00

This report was sent privately to me but may be of some interest to
others.

FIREBALL REPORT

I. Observing Site:
  1. (City, County, State): El Centro, Imperial, California
  2. (Latitude, Longitude, Elevation): on I-H 8 east of El Centro about
20 miles. Elev.sea level or a little lower.

II. Time:
  1. (Day, Month, Year):  26/09/00
  2. (Time; local or UT?):  7:00 to 8:00 PM

III. General Description:
  1. Direction of travel:  From East  to West. if So. horizon is 9
oclock and 12 is up, about 11
     (For example, from NE to SW, or in degrees if possible.)
  2. Altitude when first seen.  came from behind left shoulder as i
traveled due west.
     Altitude when last seen. last ball of fire just in front and above
me.
  3. Brightness (of head or largest object):almost to bright to look at.
     ___ Too bright to look at; almost
     ___ As bright as full moon; brighter
     ___ As bright as star or planet; brighter
  4. Length of time visible it came from behind me. but i saw it for 4
seconds +/- 1
  5. If an explosion was witnessed, please describe: check with local
farmers.
     How long was it visible after explosion? small chuncks broke off,
     Was it audible? i was driving and do not know
     How long after it exploded did you hear it and for how long
      was it audible? __________________________________________________
  6. Was there a train of smoke, luminous path, or additional
      objects trailing the head? yes, many and long
  7. Length (in degrees, if possible): about 30 degress
  8. Color: blue, green, white, orange.

IV. Additional Description (If multiple objects, how many and what
    pattern? - please attach a sketch):2 large balls in line with
connecting
chunks and trail.

V. Miscellaneous Remarks:i was driving and wish i could give you more.
it was spectacular.
 local farmers were plowing everywhere and should have more info. my
wife saw it also.

VI. Observer (name, address, phone number):
  Tim Hibbs
1290 E. Avenida Isabella
 Casa Grande, AZ. 85222
katie@kna.to  520-421-7122