[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Excerpts from "CCNet 97/2000 - 28 September 2000"

Hello--

My comment on CCNet about compressional heating is what I determined after
a lengthy talk with John Lewis as well as reading Opik and a few other
texts. Oberg's comments are basically correct; also, meteorites tend to
have ablated material cooled and hardened on their 'back' side, indicating
a relatively low amount of friction with oncoming air.

If anyone has more, I'd love to hear it. Dispensing astronomy myths
is literally my business! ;-)

- -Phil Plait

*    *    *    *    *    The Bad Astronomer    *    *    *    *

Phil Plait                    badastro@badastronomy.com
The Bad Astronomy Web Page: http://www.badastronomy.com

Member of the Outerspace Advertising Network
   ---> http://www.outerspaceadsdot net <---