[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor paths & southern hemisphere.

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for your reply. We have a 'clear' sky here tonight, but what with
air pollution and light pollution, only seven stars are readily visible. Was
much better a few weeks ago in the 'typhoon come' season; found myself waking
up in the banana lounge on the roof a couple of times; even some meteors
seen.

    At home, however, its not uncommon to find 'diamonds from horizon to
horizon, blinking on in the east, and off in the west'. It would be
interesting to go home for one or other of the showers you mention. Could you
advise me of their names / dates?

    Thanks again,

    Best regards,
    Stuart Saunders.

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> Stuart and All,
>
> There are no major annual meteor displays limited specifically to the
> Southern Hemisphere. There are two major radiants that may be better
> seen from below the equator but they are also visible north of the
> equator.
>
> The southern skies may be spectacular with the many bright stars and
> deep sky objects but the meteor watchers haven lies north of the
> equator.
>
> Best Wishes!
>
> Robert Lunsford
>
> Stuart Saunders wrote:
>
> >     Also, I work in the northern hemisphere, but home is in the southern
> > hemisphere. I would like to schedule my trips home considering potential
> > southern hemisphere showers. Is a calendar of southern hemisphere meteor
> > showers available?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Stuart.

Follow-Ups: References: