[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor paths & southern hemisphere.

Stuart and All,

Those major showers better seen from the Southern Hemisphere are the Eta
Aquarids and the South Delta Aquarids. The Eta Aquarids are active from
April 25 to May 25 with a broad maximum centered on May 6. The South
Delta Aquarids are active from July 12 to August 19 which another broad
maximum centered on July 28. The Eta Aquarids are the much more active
shower often approaching 60 meteors per hour at maximum compared to 25
for the South Delta Aquarids.

When I say "broad maximum" I mean that the actual date of maximum
activity may fall a day or two before or after this date. These showers
are quite different from the Leonids and Quadrantids with their sharp
maximums that occur only on one night.

Also note that the Leonids (Nov 14-21) and Orionids (Oct 18-25) may also
be well seen from south of the equator.

Best Wishes!

Bob

Stuart Saunders wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>     Thanks for your reply. We have a 'clear' sky here tonight, but what with
> air pollution and light pollution, only seven stars are readily visible. Was
> much better a few weeks ago in the 'typhoon come' season; found myself waking
> up in the banana lounge on the roof a couple of times; even some meteors
> seen.
>
>     At home, however, its not uncommon to find 'diamonds from horizon to
> horizon, blinking on in the east, and off in the west'. It would be
> interesting to go home for one or other of the showers you mention. Could you
> advise me of their names / dates?
>
>     Thanks again,
>
>     Best regards,
>     Stuart Saunders.