[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Draconid obs. LANMA 7 Oct 2000

Hi,

I've just been allowed just under an hour of clear skies here at
Voorschoten, and thus tried whether the Draconids would show up
notwithstanding the moon. See table with data below. Some cirrus present
during twilight disappeared in southeast direction near the end of twilight
and it actually got quite clear. I started observation at 18:52 UT and
during the next hour twice counted a Lm of +6.1 in the Draco counting area,
which is not bad given the moonlight. I observed in west-northwest
direction, towards Bootes/Hercules, away from the direction of the moon.
Around 19:45 UT, after just under an hour of observations, I had to quit
because a massive cirrus field entered from the North Sea. 0.87 hours of
observing delivered me 7 meteors, of which 1 (the very first of the session
incidently) was a possible Draconid; a slow and very short +3 trail near the
head of Draco at 18:58 UT, coming apparently from just south of the
"classic" radiant, corresponding to the area of the 1953 radiant.
If the situation improves later this night, I might try another round.
Anyhow, this was a good practice opportunity for the upcoming Leonids under
moonlight.

- Marco Langbroek

--------------------
Obs.: Marco Langbroek    -     LANMA
Date: 7 October 2000
Location: Voorschoten, Netherlands, 52d 07'N, 4d 28' E

UT                 Teff    Lm   Dra   Spo    Total
18:52-19:45   0.87   6.1    1        6         7

strm/mag            +1     +2     +3     +4
Sporadics            1       1        3       1
Draconids            -       -         1       -
--------------

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marcolan@stad.dsldot nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515                         website: http://homes.dsldot nl/~marcolan
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---