[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation Sept 28/29 2000

On September 28/29, I returned to Casselman this time to observe late
at night for 3 hours teff until dawn. I was curious to see what kind
of activity I would see in the early morning sky. I also had company
from another observer who wanted to observe late for deep sky winter
objects.

It was a very enjoyable night. With such crisp transparency and an
average LM of 6.5, it was one of the best night I've seen at
Casselman! Light pollution from Ottawa and Montreal were much less
noticable than usual. Looking below and to the left of Pegasus and
into Pisces, I even glimpsed the faint glow of the Gegenshein. It was
a rather large glow best seen with averted vision.

Meteor activity a bit better than on the 24/25. I got a total of 53
meteors which consisted of 46 sporadics, 5 Piscids (anthelions) and 2
Delta Aurigids. The north and south apex sources were quite active
with 8 nAPX and 6 sAPX meteors. The final hour was the best with 21
meteors.

No fireballs were seen. Sporadics were on the faint side with an
average magnitude of +4.44. At 8:21 UT, I had a south apex meteor and
another sporadic appear within 2 seconds of each other.

With less than an hour before dawn, we were treated to another visual
naked eye feat. The Zodiacal Light blazed in the eastern sky. It was
a large cone-shaped glow extending the length of the ecliptic all the
way to 70 degrees high - ending in the the Milky Way! What surprised
me most was to see its overall luminosity outshine the winter Milky
Way! I actually had to switch my FOV to avoid staring into its glow.
It seemed definitely brighter compared to last year.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: September 28/29 2000
BEGIN: 6:35 UT (2:35 EDT)  END: 9:40 UT (5:40 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation:100m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: 3-letter code;    		 	radiant position
             	SPI (Piscids)				013 +2
		KAQ (Kappa Aquarids)			22h50 -3
		DAU (Delta Aurigids)			083 +49

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)   FIELD   	Teff   F      LM     SPO nAPX sAPX SPI DAU
6:35-7:38    4h04 +22	1.00  1.00    6.51   10   2    0    2   0
7:38-8:42    4h42 +22	1.00   "      6.48    9   2    4    2   1
8:42-9:40    6h14 +22	0.96   "      6.48   13   4    2    1   1
TOTALS:              	2.96		     32   8    6    5   2  =  53

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER  0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5  +6 	AVERAGE

SPO     1   2  10  18  10   4   1	+4.44
SPI     0   0   1   1   2   1   0	+3.6
DAU     0   0   0   1   0   1   0	+4.0
TOTALS: 1   2  11  20  12   6   1