[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [IMO-News] Fireball, Kansas USA, 10/13, 0025 GMT

------- Forwarded Message

To: International Meteor Group <imo-news@imodot net>
From: Fritz Kruse <vortex@dodgecitydot net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:03:47 -0500
Subject: [IMO-News] Fireball  Kansas 10/13...0025 GMT

Hi, I am new to the list. I work for the National Weather Service in
Dodge City, KS. We were flooded with calls at 730 pm CDT about an object
that had streaked across the sky from southwest toward northeast.

Many said it sparked, heard noise, was orange, was blue, broke up into
about 10 fragments, produced a contrail, did not appear to reach ground.

We went out to take a look at the sky and observed an unusual contrail,
described as two intertwined trails with regular bumps or puffs every
1/4 mile or in a general straight line path with curves. The trail was
almost overhead but slightly east in the sky. The contrail did not seem
very high, probably 10,000 to 20,000 ft. Reports say the contrail was
observed from northeast Oklahoma and stopped near Hill City, KS.

I just saw the event on the Weather Channel, and to me it looked like a
fireball or bright meteor.

Can someone confirm if this event was a fireball?

Thanks, Fritz

From IMO-NEWS:
http://www.e-groups.com/list/imo-news

------- End of Forwarded Message