[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: [IMO-News] Kansas Fireball Event Updated

------- Forwarded Message

To: imo-news@imodot net
From: Fritz Kruse <vortex@dodgecitydot net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:14:55 -0500
Subject: [IMO-News] Kansas Fireball Event Updated

Hi IMO, My previous report had a few errors...

1) The track reports were from West Texas to Hill City, Kansas
(not from Northeast Oklahoma)

2) The contrail height was above 25,000ft possibly 60,000ft.
(not less than 20,000ft)

3) The best estimate of the event near Dodge City was around
  720 to 725 pm on the 13th of October, or 0022 GMT the 14th.
(not 10/13...0025 GMT)

I talked to a co-worker that witnessed the event around
sunset, or around 725 pm CDT in Osborne County of north-central
Kansas. He said it fragmented in about 10 pieces, but the core
of it kept going well northeastward into the horizon, or at least
half way into Nebraska, and not reaching ground from his vantage.

One other thing to note meteorologically was there was a fairly
strong Jet Stream overhead from ssw to nne. 85 knots at Amarillo
at 00 Zulu at 250 mb or around 34,500ft; 95 knots over Dodge CIty
and 95 knots over Omaha, Nebraska. Jet Stream measured by balloon
radiosonde. (Radiosondes launched twice daily at 6 am and 6 pm CDT)

I have a copy of the 250mb map showing orientation of
the strong winds (Jet Stream Level) saved as a .jpg file. I do
not have a website to post it to. If someone wants I will send
it to them.

Recently, more reports suggest this was not a meteor fireball,
but a piece of a Russian Glonass satellite or the Proton Booster
launched shortly before. The trajectory would have taken it over
Texas. I wonder if it got caught in the strong winds aloft and
was swung in that orientation?

Fritz

------- End of Forwarded Message