[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonids in the news

Terry and All,

Unfortunately there will be almost no activity left over for the 18/19
so most likely anyone out watching that night would be certainly
disappointed if they are expecting to see good activity. Nov. 16/17
seems to be the best bet with 17/18 a close second choice.

If the ZHR reaches 100 on either the 17th or 18th you would most
certainly see many less meteors. The actual rate would all depend on
several factors with the radiant altitude being one of the most
important. If your watch early in the morning when the radiant is low in
the sky then your most likely visual hourly count would be less than 20
per hour. If you watch later in the morning when the radiant is higher
in the sky then rates could increase to 50-75 per hour, depending on
your limiting magnitude.

I hope this helps!

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford