[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) More on Leo minorids

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Marco Langbroek" <M.Langbroek@rulpre.LeidenUnivdot nl>
To: imo-news@egroups.com, meteorobs@jovian.com
Date:          Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:39:53 +0100
Subject:       More on Leo minorids

Hi,

Bob wrote the following in his IMO activity outlook, about the Leo
minorids. I want to add a few small points, because this is one of those
streams which is for some reason largely ignored, while real. I do
not know why it is not in the IMO-list, it is certainly not as
"obscure" a stream as some of the others that are in the IMO list. There
are several photographic and video orbits from this stream (6, I
believe), which were summarized by Marc de Lignie and Hans Betlem in
WGN some time ago. For visual observers aware of its existence, the
stream is well recognizable around the Orionid maximum, so its
certainly worth paying attention to. I, nor my fellow observers
within DMS, never have had any difficulty in recognizing this stream
while targetting Orionids the last decade. Note that most notably the
descending slope of the activity is not well covered due to
information on the stream being largely a by-product of Orionid
campaigns focussing on the time period of its ascending slope. This
is a stream that still needs a lot of data gathering in order to have its peak
position and activity profile well established! So be aware of them
while hunting for Orionids.

Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society

- --------------------
Bob wrote:

The Leo Minorids are listed among the radiants of the Dutch Meteor
Society (DMS). The activity period is only 3 days long centered on
October 24. The radiant is reported to be at 10:48 (162) +37 on October
24. This area of the sky lies in extreme eastern Leo Minor near the
border with Ursa Major. The moon will be in this same general area of
the sky during this activity period but it will be quite thin and thus
not too much of a nuisance. Any shower members would be slow moving near
the radiant and the horizon but swift if seen high in the sky and far
from the radiant. The listed ZHR is only 2 so activity will be scarce.
Observers with video and camera equipment and those visual observers who
plot are urged to keep a lookout for any possible activity from this
radiant.

Marco Langbroek
Faculty of Archaeology      tel. +31 71 5272926/25
Leiden University           fax  +31 71 5272928
P.O. Box 9515               m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands             http://homes.dsldot nl/~marcolan