[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: The color of the night sky

We have had some interesting comments on the the color of the night sky.
My favorite so far is "purple haze". Kim, I think both of us are dating
ourselves :)

As for myself I would describe the night sky as many shades of gray.
It's a very dark gray in rural areas and lighter shades in town. With
high pressure sodium streetlights and a hazy night it can have a
distinct orange hue.

Under truly dark skies the summer Milky Way has a dark green tint to it.
But that is about as bizarre as it gets for me. It is those orange and
yellow speckles among the dark gray abyss that catch my eye. Oh yes, an
occasional colorful fireball is nice too!

Lew, If Penny Fischer commented on this subject she may join Jure and
say she sees red. Of course she sees red most of the time anyway :)

Clear Skies!

Bob