[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids

     I was forced to choose between observing the Orionids this weekend and
traveling to Atlanta for a concert which I'd been looking forward to for a
long time.  Only a small portion of the state was cloudy friday night -- my
portion.  I awoke to clear skies Saturday but I was soon on my way upstate.
I headed back home after midnight, a three hour drive, with the intent of
heading straight to my observing site -- skies were clear.  But by the time I
was back in the county, I was in need of toothpicks for the eyes.  So I
decided instead to observe casually from my backyard.
      With trees obscuring all but about 30% of the sky, I managed to see
four meteors in twenty minutes -- although the trees also prevented any
accurate shower association.  I don't remember anything after that except the
dog licking my face to wake me up about ninety minutes later -- just as the
sun was rising.

Kim Y.