[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids now quite active, NE US, 23/24 Oct 2000

Lying under often cirrus stained, LM=6.0 skies, fellow observers Rachel Aubuchon and Mike Aramini watched meteors with me from 3:20 to 4:30 UT last night. Many thanks to both of them for the fine observing company!

It was Rachel's first session using the IMO method. And while she did not record her data to report, she picked up much of the technique in a very short time - including most of the North's late-Fall constellations, some LM star counts, meteor magnitudes, and the recording basics. It was a great first session, Rachel - keep it up!

The Orionids were much in evidence even during this early morning session - much more noticeable than they'd been at similar times under better conditions, Fri or Sat night. I logged 5 ORI, 2 NTA and 2 or 3 STA in just over 1 hour Teff, calling 5% cloud cover over half the period.

I saw no definite EGEs. My highlights of the night were two magnitude 1 ORIs, each with a nice train (1.5 and 5 secs). Also I had a (for me) very rare sight of two near simultaneous Sporadics that crossed each others' paths perpendicularly: A "dagger" footnote, highlighting a very fine, short observing night.

It's nice to be out logging meteors regularly again: I thank the heavens for New England's famous Autumns! :)

Clear skies all,
Lew Gramer (GRALE)

Lew Gramer, lgramer@..., 800-501-1187