[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Low Slow Meteor

On 21/22 Oct I went out to observe after 1 AM local time. As I was still
arraigning myself when I noticed  something off to my right and just above
some bushes, I was facing more or less north. It was a low, slow white
meteor traveling northward. The part I saw lasted about two seconds and
was about 20-25 degress above the true horizon, no train seen, but the
meteor only slightly curbed toward earth and was wide as low meteors
usually are. The direction from me was about 115-120 degrees magnetic
which put it on a direct line to Yuma and Tuson, Arizona.

     If we can see meteors about 650 miles away (as I recall) that are on the
horizon, I believe this one may have had it's apex near Tuson at 350 miles
from my location and may have been a significant meteor. I didn't see a
report on a good -meteor from that area, anybody hear of one about 1:15
or so 21/22 Oct. from that location? My magnitude would be only about 0
here but should be much higher under it. Sorry about the time, I should
have written it down. The true direction of travel of the meteor, of course,
could have been anything northward, NE-NW away from me or toward me,
it gets distorted at such low angles, but it appeared to be going in a
northeasterly direction to me. I would like to see a report on it.

                                                    Dave English
                                                    Oceanside, California