[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The Y2K Leonids: what if it's cloudy?

In a message dated 10/24/2000 7:21:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, johnk@dmv.com
writes:

<< First off...you simply are not going to be able to forecast viewing
conditions
 up and down the East Coast FIVE days in advance with enough certainty to even
 BEGIN to plan travel..2-3 days, yes. More than three...no way. >>

    Actually . . . after more than 22 years of forecasting, chiefly in the
private sector, and having considerable experience in using the entire
ensemble of computer models, I believe a surprisingly good generalization can
be made as far out to 144 hours in advance of a particular event.  At 5 to 7
days out, I will be looking for one of three best "regions" with best weather
prospects -- each region covering a radius of approximately 300-400 miles.
I've had good success in the past and I hope to continue that for the Leonids!

-- joe rao