[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The Y2K Leonids: what if it's cloudy?

In a message dated 10/25/00 2:04:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
janne@brossco.fi writes:

<< Reading the list for six days now, I think I would travel to Florida
 (Miami) if any, if I travel to US. I would be glad to find a good contact
 there to join in some astro group to watch Leonids. Is any astro group in
 Miami? >>

I would suggest you re-read what our good friend Norm McLeod wrote yesterday:

"There is usually a strong easterly flow coming off the Atlantic this time of
year
with varying amounts of cloudiness.  The east coast gets the clouds full
strength.  Crossing a hundred miles of land to reach the west coast helps
the clouds to partially, and often completely, dissipate."

    If you're heading to Miami for the Leonids, the clouds that Norm speaks
of could be your undoing.  On the other hand, if you make your plans now
based simply on climatology, that might not be the best thing either.  Last
year, my Leonid tour to the Canary Islands were ruined by clouds and rain,
even though climatology said there was a better than 70% chance of clear to
scattered cloud in mid-November.  It all boils down to what I have said for
many years when making advance plans for astronomical events:  "Climate is
what you EXPECT; weather is what you GET!"

-- joe rao