[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Massachusetts fireball sighting

Here is an e-mail forwarded to me by Todd Gross of WHDH in Boston concerning
the  numerous reports of "meteor showers" last night over eastern MA.  As I
originally suspected, it was a brilliant exploding meteor.  -- joe rao

      Scott Observatory ---- I.A.U. Minor Planet Center #823

        Latitude: 42N 36' 34" Longitude: 71W 49' 51"

                              Elevation 1,040'

                Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA

Web Page:
<<http://wwwdot net1plus.com/users/lla>wwwdot net1plus.com/users/lla

Todd,

Observed a slow moving, but brilliant fireball at 6:46 pm tonight (22:46
UT) moving from SE to NW breaking up about 5 degrees below Alpha Peg.
Estimated brightness magnitude -7, brilliant green glow as it broke up
into 4 or 5 pieces, visible for about 5 or 6 seconds and immediately
disappeared as it broke up.

Len Amburgey