[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball(?) sighting, 22:45 UT 25 Oct 2000, Belmont NH USA

This report was just gleaned from a local club's email list I belong to.
This is the third such report from regional amateurs I've seen. (I have
Blank-carbon-copied all the witnesses whose email reports I received.)

As Joe Rao noted, this probably explains the flurry of call-in reports of
"meteor showers" in New England yesterday night. Magnitude estimates now
vary between -3 and -7: in any case, NOT very likely to be bright enough
to have dropped a meteorite. BTW, reports of meteors "hitting the ground"
almost without exception turn out to be perspective illusions: and these
illusion will frequently fool even experienced (non-meteor) observers...

One final note on this wonderful sighting: the IMO (International Meteor
Organization) maintains a global archive of detailed fireball sightings.

This "Fireball Data Center" archive is accessed and used by researchers
around the world in investigations of fireball rates, triangulation of
trajectories and orbits, meteorite hunts and other research. However the
archive is only useful if fireball witnesses actually send REPORTS to it!

So please, consider using the very convenient FiDaC reporting form on
the IMO Web site to report all fireball sightings such as this one:

        http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

Clear skies and thanks!
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>