[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

I noticed my calendar has the Leonids on the night of 16/17 Nov. at
midnight.  That was based on the IMO calendar for 2000 which has the
lambda at 235.27 degrees which according to my table is 8 UTC on the 17
th.  Interestingly the IMO 2001 calendar has the same date and lambda.
I hope I am not doing something wrong.
    The more recent data  has 3:44 UT and 7:51 UT  on the 18th.  I am
assuming that this later date is the more nearly correct since it is
current data from Asher and McNaught.
    However I assume that neither of these times favor the US West Coast
since the radiant will just have risen by the second of these times.
However no one will avoid the moon since it appears to rise very near
the radiant.  Correct me where I am wrong.
In any event I will go out to do my best on one or more of these
nights.  I had hoped to survey some other sites before this event but
the weather has prevented it.