[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sound of Leonids

Karl,

There is a common misconception in you note and in the interest of not
confusing anyone I politely offer this correction.

Radio observers do not detect sound. They detect radio reflections off the
meteor ionization sheath in the atmosphere. Radio is an electromagnetic
wave just like light only a different color of light and one that our eyes
cannot see but our electronics can detect as an electric signal. If you put
this electric signal through a speaker, the signal is converted to sound.
But they don't have to listen to that sound. The sound is an easy and
simple way to make the detection, but they also can detect and record
signals electronically.

Hope this explanation reduces an confusion group members might have. It is
a common misconception that radio astronomers are listening to sounds from
space. Not true. They are simply recording another form of light which our
eyes cannot see. Their computers make an image (picture) so that through
technology we extend our vision of the universe and see in colors of light
that biology did not grant us access too but our intelligence did.

Terry

>  Hi all!
>Have you ever heard the sound made by the ionisation of a meteore in the
>atmosphere? For those who observe the sky with radio method, I think yes.
>But for the others? For those interested, you can find the sound made by a
>( or three? ) Leonids at the site <http://www.estec.esadot nl/spdwww/leonids>
>http://www.estec.esadot nl/spdwww/leonids. It's a page web on Leonids with
>links to article but I can't manage to join them..
>Clear skies!
>Karl <http://www.estec.esadot nl/spdwww/leonids>
><http://www.estec.esadot nl/spdwww/leonids>

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424
pager #937-1048
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

Office Location: Science Center Room 102

Packages must be shipped to:

Terry Richardson
College of Charleston Dept. of Physics
58 Coming St., room 101