[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Early Leonids

>Speaking of that, were these [various minor] radiants widely known in
>the amateur meteoric community back in the 60s and 70s?

Believe it or not, Jure, some of these radiants have been monitored for over a
Century! To learn about the history of identification and observation of meteor
showers, I *highly* recommend our own Gary W. Kronk's "Comets & Meteor Showers"
site, derived from his best-selling (among meteor enthusiasts) book by the same
name. The main site is hosted on the AMS's Web, at:

        http://www.comets.amsmeteors.org/

And Gary's deeply detailed "Meteor Calendar", including extensive observational
histories for each of the showers listed, can be browsed at:

        http://www.comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/calendar.html

Just one example: the Epsilon Geminids were first verified as a radiant in 1899
by none other than William Denning, one of the founders of meteor science.

Clear skies and many meteors!
Lew Gramer