[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: shimmers

Sanford>>And now something completely different:
Has any of you long-time observers seen a type of meteor that I could swear
I've  seen but may be an optical delusion... I believe I've seen while
guiding a long exposure photo  meteors that look like the last sparkles of a
"comet" fireworks. They look like a small handfull of particles hit rather
than a single one, or a not very cohesive little body hits and breaks up
immediately on impacting the atmosphere. It's very beautiful but I've never
been looking directly at it when one such thing happens, therefore the doubt
in my mind... It's a very beautiful and delicate shimmery thing, but I don't
know if it's real or not!<<

John, I've personally only seen one that somewhat resembles what you are
describing about 6 or 7 years ago. I think I gave it a magnitude of +3 or +4?
Anyhow, I described it at the time like a dim nebulous "blob" that "sparkled"
thru out. I believe it was at a relatively medium rate of speed. It was
during no major shower and was a sporadic. I had a dead on view of it.
GeoZay