[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Sighting North Houston

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 11:48:22 -0600
   From: Kenneth Drake <kdrako@txucomdot net>
Subject: Fireball over Houston

Folks, My wife and I were very fortunate Saturday evening to witness a
fireball
fall from the Pavillion in the Woodlands 35 miles north of Houston. We
were at
the KILT Country Western Festival with lawn seating. We were admiring
the 40
hour old Moon and Venus at the time (7:15) when I pointed out the
emergence of
the fireball. I don't think I really needed to make her aware of it, but
my
surprise reaction was instinctive. We both watched as the piece of space
rock or
maybe orbital debris slid slowly (about 10 degees per second) from about
30
degrees up in the south, sweeping over 40 degrees of sky with a 20
degree down
angle. It's brightness varied somewhat as pieces broke from it and
trailed off,
some greenish in color. I believe it was at times brighter than Venus
which was
near -3.9. The kicker was that after fading I saw a bright flash a
second later
at a point that would have been the fireballs position in another second
or so.
Did anyone else get Lucky?

Kenneth Drake
kdrako@txucomdot net